Sunday, June 26, 2011

Not on your LIFE!

I got three calls this morning from Nigeria.

HUH?

Yep, one after the other.

People screaming and carrying on, drums beating, someone asking for (a name I could not make out).

I got one that went to VM. I answered the second one, trying see what was up. When I answered it for the third call, the woman said she couldn't hear me, "...please call me back, I need help!"

At, if I did call back, just what kind of help can I offer someone in NIGERIA?

I suspect it's a scam. I call them back, get switched around for 5 minutes and then get a phone charge tagged to my regular bill for hundreds of dollars from Ma Bell Nigeria. No thanks, I'll throw my money away elsewhere thanks.
.
.
Schteveo

6 comments:

blue said...

Steve-o: maybe it was Michelle - I heard that Barry bought her a one way ticket to Africa!

DNA Sprinkler Poots said...

Might be one of the little"presents" you left behind during your service days you old dog you.

Schteveo said...

But, I've never been to Africa.

And I doubt Michelle would be calling ME for help.

Spider said...

It's actually an old scam. What amazes me is how people in a 5th-world nation have the technology to scam people around the world, and they do it on a regular basis.

LabRat said...

Sounds like the old 809 phone scam. They trick the unsuspecting in to calling a foreign premium-rate phone number (like our 1-900 numbers), those who fall for it will see a per-minute charge on their next phone bill for however long they stay on the line.

Schteveo said...

LabRat,
long time no hear from, HELLOOOOO!

Yeah, that's what I thought too. So I googled the number and country code. Sure enough, there's a bunch of people who say they called, got switched around, dumped (a few were dumb enough to call back) and when the phone bill came...hundreds of dollars charged by the Nigerian Ma Bell.