Monday, May 16, 2011

The VERY next time...

...that you think YOUR life sucks, think of this story. It's from early May, but I just heard it.
.
Body thought to be ex-Playmate's found in LA home
.
Los Angeles County coroners are trying to confirm that a badly decomposed body found in the home of former Playboy Playmate and B-movie actress Yvette Vickers is hers.

A neighbor discovered the body in a mummified state last week, police told the Los Angeles Times.

The body appeared to have gone undiscovered for an unknown period of time -- anywhere from several months to a year -- and investigators weren't able to determine if it was the remains of a man or woman, Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said.

Neighbor Susan Savage told the Times she saw letters and cobwebs in Vickers' mailbox before going into her neglected home in the Benedict Canyon area to discover what she believed to be the actress's unrecognizable remains.

"The letters seemed untouched and were starting to yellow," Savage said. "I just had a bad feeling."

When she entered the house, Savage said she moved through stacks of clutter before finding the body upstairs in a room with a small space heater still on.

.
She was dead for a few months to a YEAR?! I can't get 4 hours of peace and quiet here at Casa de Schteveo. Somebody calls here daily for help / advice / trivia. But if you think your life sucks, think about someone that NO ONE missed for up to a year. Her life sucked.
.
.
Schteveo

7 comments:

PudPullin Poots said...

Hey didja all know Samantha is getting married? I think next week end

Schteveo said...

Cool, congrats Samantha. Good luck sweety!

Inspector Spider said...

Best wishes Samantha.

As for the DOA, someone being dead for long periods of time without anyone realizing it is not as unusual as you might think. Bodies decompose at different rates depending on weather conditions and cause of death. Also, someone living alone in a rural area might go for a long time before being discovered, although the smell will usually get someone's attention. Odd that the mailman, who apparently delivered the mail, didn't notice any odder or report the fact that the mail was still in the box and getting old and yellow. Hmm...

BOW said...

Bet to you Samantha!!!!

alan said...

Congratulations Sammie!!!

in relation to the story, even when somebody doesn't post here for a while they are soon missed and we ask if anyone has heard from them....and most of us haven't ever met in person.

truly sad that people can go months without any interaction with the people around them and not be missed.

Schteveo said...

alan,
you had the same reaction that I did. For the most part, we are a group of 'friends' who wouldn't know each other on the street, and yet, we miss each other after a few days of silence. I'm pretty much a loaner and always have been. I like people, but I don't 'need' interaction. I know people who absolutely require that interaction. Personally, I think it's a self-esteem issue.

I have 'friends', therefore, I am!

Hell, most of humanity I can't stand! So 'needing' them is off the needs list for me. Didja ever see that old 'Twilight Zone' episode, with Burgess Meredith, where he's the last man alive, and NOW he has time to read? That's me.

And hell yes, I have numerous pairs of glasses!


Spider,
I know it happens frequently. And 'rural' don't be playin'
here meng. This chick was in the Hollywood Hills for crying out loud. I don't get WHY the mail man / woman / transgender deliverer, didn't notify someone. Mail, by there own laws, isn't supposed to 'pile up' or go for long 'abandoned'. In the apt we moved from last year, they TOPPED my mail once, because I went 6 days without emptying the box.

And I got a knock on the door, certified, had to sign for it letter, FROM the USPS, asking me if I'd moved. I'm guessing Yvette Vickers never got that letter!

Svenska said...

Best Wishes Samantha!

And in case you all were wondering, I'm still around - just been dealing with health issues (stage 4 breast cancer, double mastectomy, etc)and haven't been on line as much the last few months. But I'm doing better & hope to check in more often. Thanks for the jokes I got while recovering! Laughter really is the medicine!