Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Am I the only one?

Beside me has anyone noticed that these mass shooting don't happen in places with fewer gun laws? And they are all but non-existence in places with Concealed Carry?
.
A gunman opened fire Wednesday in a busy hair salon, killing eight people and critically wounding another while leaving bodies scattered throughout the business in a normally sedate Southern California beach community.

The gunman got into a car and drove away from Salon Meritage after opening fire about 1:30 p.m. He was stopped by officers about a half-mile (kilometer) away and surrendered without incident while saying he had multiple weapons with him, police Sgt. Steve Bowles said.

His name and those of the victims were not immediately released.

Police were struggling to determine what prompted the shootings.

"There may be something to the motive as to a relationship with somebody in the salon, that is our assumption," Bowles said.

Glenn Zachman, who owns a video news-gathering service, said he arrived at the scene of the arrest shortly after police and saw they had placed plastic bags over the man's hands to preserve possible gunshot residue.

He also saw a bulletproof vest on the back of a patrol car but didn't know if the man, dressed in a button-down shirt and pants, had been wearing it.

The suspect was cooperative when officers, working from a description of the shooter, stopped him near the salon, Bowles added.

I have said before to people who tried to bark at me about my pistol, that I absolutely WOULD protect myself, and thereby every other person in harms way. I've actually had people say I'd just run!
.
These people have not seen me run obviously, I'm sure of it. (picture a penguin, a very LARGE penguin, wearing tie dye, and waddling as FAST as he can) (but with a cane!) Hell, I started carrying when I got to the point where my barely legal pocket knife was small comfort. Many people doubt that I could shoot someone.
.
Uh huh. Let 'em think that. I lose no sleep over it.
.
I find it odd that they consider Seal Beach sedate though. That's where the Navy stores it's West Coast arsenal. So there are plenty of squids and grunts there 24 / 7. Not crowds known for their 'sedate'.
.
.
Schteveo

2 comments:

Spider said...

Actually, one thing has nothing to do with the other. When a psycho wants to kill people, he doesn't care where he is or what the gun laws are. He just starts shooting.

The same holds true for street criminals. There are hundreds-of-thousands of people in NYC with concealed carry permits, yet there are shootings and armed robberies here about every 4 minutes. Aren't the criminals afriad? No, they're not. They know that of 10 people who may be armed, maybe 1 would have the nerve/will to use it. Maybe one! Personally, i even doubt the one. Over the years, i saw plenty of armed business people who were held up at gunpoint, and in more than just a few of those cases, their guns were taken from them.

Carrying a gun, and being able/willing to use it are two "very" different things. It's real easy to say what one would do in a situation. That is, until it happens.

Schteveo said...

I'm not going to disagree with the armed businessman scenario at all. I've read that / heard that dozens of times.

But when I checked my statement, it seems that the crazed shooters go after people / places they KNOW are not armed. Even that ass munch Maj Hassan at Ft. Hood went to a room full of UNARMED people. One of the few places he knew where no one would be likely to have a gun.

Since the Luby's Shooting in TX, when people started screaming for CCH / CCW, these 'crazed' gunmen are fairly selective of where they go 'crazy'. It's always places where state law, city ordinance or company rules keep people from protecting themselves.

I sure as hell don't hear about anyone going 'crazy' at a gun range, gun show, police station, anywhere like that. With the exception of Detroit where a guy walks into the station past 5 officers who didn't see him come in.

No making fun of at those LEO's intended. I've always thought they got let down by the city. I got stopped going into my cop shop for gun permits because I forgot my nail clippers in my pocket! Why Detroit doesn't have metal detectors at the precinct house doors is unfathomable.

The city council must have spent that money on midnight basketball or and arts program.