Saturday, November 5, 2011

Is Art Imitating Trash? Or is some Art just Trashy?

I'm a fan of (most) art. One of the honest to God highlights of my life was riding the elevator to the top of the Guggenheim Museum, and SLOWLY walking down that spiral, looking at the art.
.
I'm no art snobLink, I can find stuff I like ranging from caves in France to crazy 1800's Folk Art right up to modern paintings and junk sculpture. I love tromp l'oiel so much I'd like to have one in my living room that looks like a mountain scene or a Italian vineyard! Mrs Schteveo and I are getting tickets to the NC Art Museum to go see a traveling collection of Rembrandt's works.
.
But, given all that, some of the things that pass for"art" I don't see as art, not do I see how the place value. Find below, a example.
.
File this one under "O" for "Oops." A cleaner with the best intentions accidentally destroyed a piece of art worth over $1 million when she removed what she thought was a "stain" from the installation. Spoiler alert: It wasn't really a stain.

The piece of art, titled "When It Starts Dripping From The Ceilings," features a series of wooden planks and a (formerly) discolored plastic bowl. The artist, the late Martin Kippenberger, intended for viewers to understand that the bowl had been discolored by water running over the pieces of wood.

Unfortunately, the bowl isn't so discolored anymore. A spokesperson from the art museum in Dortmund, Germany, remarked that "it is now impossible to return it to its original state." The cleaner was apparently unaware that she was supposed to stay at least 20 centimeters away from the works of art.

Kippenberger died at the age of 43 in 1997, but he left behind a large collection of work. Roberta Smith of the New York Times said he was "widely regarded as one of the most talented German artists of his generation." Like many of the greats, his work has grown more valuable since his death. In 2005, a Kippenberger painting went for over $1 million.

n.

Uh huh. Art? Ruined? Hell, I've got a bucket out in the Pop Shop, that catches water, running off rusted meta, with a stain in the bottom, that looks like, Moe Howard! that SOB could be worth $3 to $50K depending on the Art Market, the Stock Market and the stupidity of Three Stooges Memorobilia Collectors!

.

But, and here's the crux of the matter, IS IT ART!? I'm kinda doubting it.

Schteveo




4 comments:

Spider said...

To me, art is a lot like wine, meaning, how much you like it, not it's worth or origin, is what counts. I have friends who wouldn't think of ordering a bottle of wine with dinner that isn't "at least" $100. Personally, i prefer a glass of Carlo Rossi Burgandy with most things i eat. It's about $5. a gallon.

I've also seen the scribblings of a 3 year old that gave me more joy than any Rembrandt could. Perhaps that's what they mean when they say that, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Anonymous said...

I pinch a million dollar loaf that looks like the first lady but I flushed it away.

Trashed Poots said...

Trash is in the eye of the beholder

Remember Shatter? said...

NannerMouse, those lips make it down yer dumper chute?