Tuesday, November 1, 2011

That's not good, that's not good at ALL.

This is the town just east of me, AND our county seat. Thankfully, I live in the county and as a well armed member of society, I need very little police intervention. I pay for my ambulance services with a yearly subscription of $60.
.
It would still suck to live in Smithfield.
.
The police department in Smithfield, N.C., has said it would no longer respond to all 911 calls and would stop pursuing some misdemeanor crimes if the town didn’t approve a measure to increase the department’s budget for gasoline, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.
.
Police Chief Michael Scott will ask the town council to allow him to reallocate some of his $30,000 office supply and equipment repair funds to compensate for the shortfall in the gas budget. Smithfield reportedly cut the fuel budget by 14 percent — or by about $10,000 — from previous fiscal year – according to the paper. Without an increase, the department runs out of gas by February 2012.

The Smithfield Police Department is expected to detail how the town’s budget cuts would affect street patrol later today. Scott said the department had already had to cut back on patrols and has even halved the number of patrol cars on the roads at times.

The town recently experienced a series of crimes – an armed robbery of a convenience store, a theft of tires and rims from an auto shop — that Scott said could have been prevented by heavier patrolling.

“Those things can all be directly related to patrol issues,” he said, according to the News & Observer. He also said that the department had been fielding complaints about the lowered police presence, and that some callers had even asked if they should buy guns to protect themselves.

Let me ask, isn't it odd that southern and southwest police chiefs and sheriffs are telling people to get guns and protect themselves, while at the same time northern and left coast officials are still trying to keep guns out of legal citizen hands?

I am more glad tonight than I've been in many years that I live where I live.

.

Schteveo

7 comments:

Spider said...

The police are obviously trying to make a point for the people who run the town, like, steal less and leave us some gas money! Besides, the State Police would be called to fill in.

But stay locked and loaded Steve, just in case.

Schteveo said...

As luck would have it, Dick's Sporting Goods has a Rossi OD Green Trifecta on sale. It's only a single shot, but it's got three barrels. .243, .22LR, and 20 gauge.

That's a pretty good survivalist combo for $230.

And the sale lasts until New Years Eve. So I've got time to save the money. (or I can buy it out of my 2010 tax return that I'm STILL waiting for)

(I realize I left you guys outta that story.

When we filed our 2010 Tax Return INCLUDING our mortgage information. Like everyone I wanted my deduction. On that mortgage statement was the the original amount of the loan AND the fees AND interest we paid AND the original amount of the house.

We bought this place while the Obama Bucks Program was still in force.

In August we got a letter saying they were disallowing our Obama Bucks Deduction because they couldn't see that we qualified, based on the paperwork we provided. What they wanted was proof from the SELLER showing the original sale price. I bought the house from HUD.

That's right ladies and germs, the Federal Gub'ment wanted me to prove to them, that I had bought a house...from them!

It took them months to tell me that. I sent in the intel, waited two MORE months, got a letter saying they have the intel, they'll be back to me in 45 days. That means sometime just before Christmas. You'd think they would verify this with two faxes. One from IRS to HUD, and an answer from HUD to IRS. That's EXACTLY what they'll do to verify what I SENT them! Stupid Gub'ment Assholes!)

Spider said...

Why do you want your 2010 return when you know your govt. needs that money, and can spend it much more wisely than you can?

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article
/218488/250/Despite-rules-Congress-travel-takes-big-jump

Schteveo said...

Yeah, I'll take it, let them scramble!!

Anonymous said...

“It only stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there’s service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.”–- Ayn Rand

srk said...

Why don't they just put little windmills on top of the squad cars? Snorpht can make them.

Schteveo said...

Not enough wind here srk.