(Fox News) Afghan security forces, our supposed allies, are slaughtering American troops. Thirty-three soldiers have been killed by "green on blue" attacks this year alone. The situation is so bad that the training of Afghan forces has been temporarily suspended.
How has the Pentagon responded? By blaming OUR troops!
Top officials believe culturally offensive behavior is the motivation behind the killings, so it's stepped up Islamic sensitivity training for our troops. "If you don't want to be shot in the back by your Afghan training partners, the Pentagon advises, don't offend their religious sensibilities". Don't kick your feet up on a table, for instance, and never ask to see a picture of their wives and kids. "There's a percentage [of attacks] which are cultural affronts," Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey said in a recent interview. Dempsey echoes the concerns of Gen. Sher Mohammad Karimi, the Afghan National Army's chief of staff, who earlier this month argued both sides need to do more to "teach" foreign troops Islamic traditions and values to reduce the chance of violent reactions to cultural slights. "It is our duty to teach this to them. Our indifference about these issues causes the incident," he said.
In the past three years, uniformed Afghans (have murdered at least 97 US and NATO troops).
The Taliban has taken credit for many of the attacks, but the Pentagon has been reluctant to admit widespread infiltration of the Afghan security forces it's training. Standing up a national army and police force that can protect the US-sponsored government in Kabul is the linchpin of President Obama's announced 2014 withdrawal strategy. Some 120,000 American and other foreign troops mix closely with 350,000 Afghan security forces. Afghan trainees and guards are co-located on US bases, where they share bathrooms, gyms and mess halls.To avoid "offending them", US commanders are putting troops through intense "Muslim sensitivity training." Among other things, they've been ordered to:
* Wear surgical gloves whenever handling a copy of the Koran.
* Never walk in front of a praying Muslim.
* Never show the bottom of boots while sitting or lying across from a Muslim, which in Islam is considered an insult.
* Never share photos of wives or daughters.
* Never smoke or eat in front of Muslims during the monthlong Ramadan fasting.
* Avoid winking, cursing or nose-blowing in the presence of Muslims — all viewed as insults in Islam.
* Avoid exiting the shower without a towel.
* Avoid offering and accepting things with the left hand, which in Islam is reserved for bodily hygiene and considered unclean.
Troops who violate the sensitivity rules face "severe" punishment...