Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Illusion Of Privacy

Yes, i said the illusion of privacy, because with today's technology, that's all privacy is, an illusion, one that we maintain to give ourselves a false sense of security. It seems that everyone wants to know what we're saying, thinking, and doing, and that includes governments, although IMO, they're last on the list of snoopers. Your ISP, bank, credit card company, mail-order catalog company, (just to mention a few) all know far more about us than does the govt, yet oddly enough, it's only the govt that we resent. Why is that? Personally, i resent them all, but if you're anywhere near a computer today, it seems impossible to avoid.

The other night, i received what was most likely a computer-generated call to my unpublished, private home phone, the one that's listed on the "National Do Not Call Registry", from a political polling organization in Oregon. Oregon! I didn't answer. They called twice more within the next hour. Are computers exempt from observing my privacy requests? Apparently so.

Today, security, especially as it relates to terrorism, is the reason most often used when our "privacy" is messed with, or ignored completely. But what does my bank, or CC company, or catalog company have to do with terrorism? And how much longer will we continue to fool ourselves into believing that we have any privacy at all?

BTW, Is it just me, (and Steve) or is it getting awfully lonely around here?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8075563/Every-email-and-website-to-be-stored.html

10 comments:

BOW said...

I feel like I'm playing with myself

srk said...

u r

Schteveo said...

Your on SOMEONE's list and they sold you to Oregon. Your insurance company, your utilities, etc.


And yes it's getting ridiculously lonely in here, and I dodged that in my last postings!

Spider said...

Business that slow Bill?

Steve, it's getting harder and harder to ignore. I think i'm starting to hear an echo in here.

"is this the end of Rico"?

(10 points if you name the actor and another 10 for the movie. If you don't want the points, BOW will give you a free extraction. (gas extra) No cheating!)

blue said...

Edward G Robinson
Little Caesar

Schteveo said...

blue beat me to it, but I had it, I love TCM!!

BloMePootzGoilz said...

Eat Me!

I've been out on Biz travel and will be out all next week in beautiful downtown Arcadia, CA. hitting "Drinkers Hall of Fame", my favorite hole in the wall on Huntington Ave.

and yes I have the T-Shirt.

We need to revive the Puntsy that used to be here. SAMMY WTF?(Where the Fuk) R U hunny.

And wheres that virgin slut from Gnu Joizy? Need some abuse Missy?

alan said...

Unfortunately due to my inherant knack for engorging my mind with useless drival and paying exhorbitant prices for it, I don't spend time posting, just reading while I avoid doing homework. For instance the discussion for this week is:

How die the development of gunpowder technology affect the practice of warfare in Asia -and- How did steppe warfare transform the polities around the nomadic empires?

We are discussing the early Wu, Han & Shzou empires between 300-900 A.D. --ouch, my head hurts.

But you are correct, it is getting lonely. I'm glad to see Bill, Steve & Spidey keeping things up.

Spider said...

BLUE'S THE WINNER!!

Now the choice is yours, 20 points or a go in BOW's chair? (and keep your hands off his nurse)

BOW said...

I think we are all waiting to see what will transpire over the next few weeks. No doubt whatever happens, that chatter will increase.