Wednesday, April 21, 2010

In Response to Anon's Last Comment on Jimbo's Tax Thread

Answer to Anon’s straw-man question at the end of Jimbo’s post about how much he pays in taxes, which was “How much should you pay for living here?”:

How much should I pay for the privilege of living here? In Federal Tax - exactly as much as it costs to maintain a Federal Government that is constrained within the bounds of the Articles of the US Constitution and not a penny more. I am not discussing a strained interpretation that capitalizes on the word “welfare” that is written in the preamble (which was a concern for many of the people that wrote it, if you read the federalist papers) and uses this one word for an excuse to do all sorts of unConstitutional things, but a direct interpretation as it is directly constrained in the Articles.

Not billions from the pockets of single mothers to aid farms that cannot make it on their own for some reason (could it be because prices are held artificially low because of government mandates? Naw, couldn’t be). Not billions from the pockets of hard working middle class men who want to put food on their family’s table to boondoggle foreign aid and the corruption of the UN. Not billions from my pocket to pay for my neighbor’s vices and necessaries, or for mine, as I think we would all be better off if we were allowed to take care of ourselves (just as we were when that was the case).

It is amazing to me that before about 1920, when the US Government operated at least nominally within the constraints of the Constitution, and even before 1913 when there was no direct federal tax levied upon the people, income or otherwise, that not only did our government function perfectly well on an eighth of it’s current budget, even adjusted for inflation, but it did so with a nagging, annoying BUDGET SURPLUS every single year with the exception of a few right after the Civil War. As soon as the purse strings opened up, though, it seemed that the Feds never could get enough money because they always found something else on which to spend it, and always something else after that. Starting in 1913, when the income tax was added and ratified as an Amendment to our Constitution (and no, I’m not saying the income tax is not Constitutional, as it was, indeed, ratified as an Amendment, and therefore is exactly that – Constitutional) as something like a 3% income tax (flat, across the board), that taxation has skyrocketed, and real, actual utility of government to the people has not kept up with the amount that they are taxed.

In 1913, when the income tax was ratified, there was one congressman who, in the register kept of the debate, worried that some day, this tax might go as high as (GASP!) TEN PERCENT! A proponent of the tax responded that “The people, sir, would never allow that.”

But we have, to this point, and now some of us are drawing the line in the sand and saying “ENOUGH!” (I, for one, paid alarmingly close to 50% of my salary to the government this year, which means that I functioned as a slave for the first 6 months of 2009, and am once again a slave until June, as I labor but am allowed to keep none of the fruits of my labor for that period of time). This doesn’t make us evil or greedy, it makes us smart. We have watched as more and more of the reward for our efforts (the dollar, is, as it were, simply a vessel in which we can store our own expended energy and sweat) gets washed away by a massive Federal juggernaut, to be spent recklessly on things that we don’t care about or disagree with without a say in the matter. You of all people should understand this – how much does it hurt you to know that by paying taxes, you directly financed the Iraq war against your will? How much good could you have done had you been allowed to keep that money for yourself? Spent it locally to support an artist that you liked, or a restaurant that employs people and supports their family?

Jimbo, for instance, employs several people. $50,000 dollars is enough to hire another person. Feed another family. Keep someone who wants to work from being unemployed and destitute, but that ability was taken from him by the government so that they can give the money to bankers and auto executives that couldn’t compete within the markets anymore because of their own bad decisions. And someone, somewhere in Jimbo’s town is without a job because of it. So much for the caring, benevolent government, eh?

My next question is does Jimbo, to continue the example, receive $50,000 worth of utility out of the government per year for his part in paying his taxes? I cannot imagine what $50,000 worth of utility per year looks like – that is considerably more than I make in my salary. I can imagine what the $16,000 I paid in my federal taxes would have done for me and my family, though, and I just don’t see the payout coming back. Government is a horrible middle-man. They cost 75 cents on the dollar to get things done, with their b-cracy and b-shit. They are not the answer.

What is amazing to me is that I pay a much, much smaller percentage of my taxes to the State and City where I live, and the return to me is excellent – my kids get good schools, I drive to work every day on well-maintained (okay, occasional pothole, but well maintained) roads, I get all the clean, fresh water my family can drink, and our refuse is hauled and sewered away very cheaply. So I get a lot more from my local government, yet pay much less to them. I wonder if maybe that is why the Founding Fathers set the Constitution up the way they did – because centrally-located power is incapable of efficiently and fairly governing? Nah, couldn’t be.

Of course, I don’t expect that you read any of this, and fully expect that you will insult me for being a stupid mindless Neocon in 3…2…1…

10 comments:

Tax&Poot said...

EAT ME!

alan said...

I'll start with a pun intended...

Remember 2 1/2 years ago when I mentioned that my brother got lead poisoning. Well after 2 1/2 years of fighting, working, fighting, struggling, physical therapy, infection, surgery, breaking again the week before his wedding, so he couldn't stand at the alter without crutches,....etc.

two days ago he literally paid a leg for the opportunity of working for the federal government. So just out of curiosity, did he pay enough? The government doesn't think so, he will continue to pay taxes on his military pension. Maybe if he would have lost his injured arm too?....nah probably not.
I am glad to discover that the state of AZ doesn't charge income tax on a military pension though. I'm loving this state more and more every day.

Abu Kareem said...

Welcome to AZ alan. We might be neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Uh Oh. In that case Alan, stay locked and loaded!

Schteveo said...

Lest we forget, it was taxation WITHOUT representation that started us down the road to being a separate, non-colonial country.

And the constant refrain that we HAVE representative government is hogwash, in a post Obamacare world. Anon and Katie Cutiepie can say it til the ends of time, but the members of Congress did NOT vote the way people wanted. Even polls from traditionally left leaning outlets showed it.

Jimbo said...

Well, blow me down - I didn't see a 3-day old response. Yesterday's topics are yesterday's news.

In answer to the question from 'the one who doesn't know its name': 30+%

30+%. What % of YOUR wages went to “the cause”? Are you a teet-sucker as most liberals are?

Anonymous said...

No, most liberals are cocksuckers.

Spider said...

AP: 4/23/10,

A Subway sandwich shop owner in New York City has admitted pocketing more than $500,000 in a three-part rip-off involving taxes and government health benefits.

"Abdul J. Mazumder" pleaded guilty Thursday to grand larceny and other charges. He admitted stealing sales taxes collected from customers at his 10 Subway franchises around the city, avoiding personal income tax and getting Medicaid benefits when he didn't qualify.

The 50-year-old has been promised a sentence of 50 weekends in jail. He'll also pay more than $1.5 million in city and state taxes and penalties.

His lawyer had no immediate comment. A representatives for the Milford, Conn.-based sandwich chain didn't immediately return a phone call Monday evening.

Schteveo said...

I think it's a good thing Mr. Mazumdar got caught stealing in AMERICA, from state, local and federal gub'ments. If he had been caught stealing, or taking money from countries where Sharia Law exists, he'd be missing a HAND, at a minimum, or he'd be missing his HEAD, for the maximum sentence.

srk said...

Not all liberals are cocksuckers. Only the males