Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I got this from my Septic Tank guy.  He's a Civil Engineer, who owns a septic tank business, so he's my kinda guy.  A man who is obviously very smart, but who still knows hard work.  Read on.

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade in 2008.

The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest.
I decided we would have an election for a Class  President.

We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote. To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members.

We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have.

We received many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.

The class had done a great job in their selections. Both candidates were good kids.

I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he had lots of parental support.

I had never even seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches.

Jamie went first.

He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. They were well thought out, and would benefit everyone in the class. He ended by promising to do his very best.

Everyone applauded and he sat down. Now it was Olivia's turn to speak.

Her speech was concise. She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream." She then sat down.

The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream."

Surely she would say more, but she did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it...She didn't know, and the class really didn't care. She simply reassured them they would receive ice cream, and lots of it. They took her at her word. All they were thinking about was ice cream.

Jamie was forgotten, and Olivia won by a landslide.
   Two months have passed since the election, and the class has yet to eat ice cream. Her classmates ask Olivia when they will have ice cream, and she tells them she is working very hard on getting it for them, but there are lots of obstacles slowing her down.  She reassures them they will get it, and they again take her at her word.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth, he offered ice cream and 51.4 % of the people reacted like nine year olds. They wanted ice cream. The other 48.6% percent know they're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.

It don't know if it's true or if it's made up, but I can't top THAT thing if I live to be 200 years old!.

1 comment:

Spider said...

Made up or not, it's still true. Not only does it speak of a totally corrupt and incompetent political system, it also speakes of a nation of weak, gullible, sheep who have clearly become incapable of thinking for themselves.

In the end, it is the American people, not the elected lying crooks, who will bring America to it's knees.