Monday, September 28, 2009

Draconian NY flu vaccine decision

.
I read an article over the weekend about some states losing population and others gaining. The two top attractors were TX and AK. NY was among the losers. Could crap like this be the reason?
.
Mandatory flu vaccination splits workers

.
Despite a planned rally in Albany Tuesday to protest a state regulation requiring health care workers be vaccinated against influenza — both seasonal and swine flu — New York’s top public health official predicts dissenters will ultimately extinguish their anger and roll up their sleeves.

The regulation, which was approved in August, comes with a stinging addendum: Get vaccinated or get fired.

But some nurses and many other health care providers say the regulation violates their personal freedom and leaves them vulnerable to vaccine injury. And they cite deaths associated with the last federal government swine-flu vaccination program in 1976.

Refusing to be immunized against H1N1 because of the vaccine debacle in 1976 “is like saying a plane crashed 33 years ago so I’ll never fly again,” said Dr. Richard Daines, New York State health commissioner.

New York is the only state in the nation to require that health care workers be vaccinated, though other states are considering such measures.

.
Texas is looking better all the time. Alaska is too cold for Mrs Schteveo to go there, and it's definitely too cold up there, for me to go, alone!!
.

15 comments:

Missy said...

its almost like the government is practicing for something this year...

BOW said...

Forced invasive medical procedures. Where have I seen this before?

Missy said...

Oh and while not being publicized for obvious reasons, they are seeing similar issues with G-B Syndrome as they did in the 1976 vaccine.

Spider said...

It's 1939 Berlin all over again. All i can say is, the American people had better wake up while there's still time.

Anonymous said...

I'm writing this as ANON, because my spouse does lurk here sometimes and I am trying to avoid an argument.

I have for years refused the flu shots. Back when I did get them, in the 70's, I invariably got a 2 or 3 day episode of the flu. One time it was full blown for a week. So screw it, I'd rather play Flu Roulette than schedule a weekend to suffer the side effects.

My spouse usually gets the flu shots, and has no problem. Said spouse just got the shot last Thursday. Said spouse spent Saturday afternoon, ALL DAY Sunday and yesterday, feeling achy, sweaty and suffering a dull headache. I'll admit it wasn't as bad as the flu, but I'll keep to my Flu Roulette Program thank you very much.

Said spouse says it must have been something else as, "...I never had a reaction like this to the flu shot, I must have picked up a DIFFERENT bug at work...".

(emphasis mine)

I'm keeping quiet, no sense in rocking the boat over someone else losing a perfectly good weekend to side effects...biting my tongue, biting my tongue...

Anonymous said...

You need a girlfriend.

"Grammie" or whatever name he wants to call me!! said...

Viva la Texas! ...(even if some here call it Mexas)

Anonymous said...

A girlfriend?

How do you know I'm not one of the "girls"?

srk said...

Yes. My wife needs a girlfriend.

Schteveo said...

srk,
tell the truth, you just want to watch.

srk said...

to start with

Schteveo said...

Be careful, did you ever see the movie, "The Sex Monster"? Well worth seeing and some good laughs.

Jimbo said...

And in the News today - speaking of NY being draconian - perfect timing:

Empire State Building turns red-yellow for China's 60th
(AFP) – 1 day ago

NEW YORK — New York's iconic Empire State Building will light up red and yellow Wednesday in honor of the 60th anniversary of communist China.

The Chinese consul, Peng Keyu, and other officials will take part in the lighting ceremony which will bathe the skyscraper in the colors of the People's Republic until Thursday, Empire State Building representatives said in a statement.

The upper sections of the building are regularly illuminated to mark special occasions, ranging from all blue to mark "Old Blue Eyes" Frank Sinatra's death in 1998 to green for the annual Saint Patrick's Day.

Just last week the tower turned bright red.

However, that was not to mark some other communist achievement, but the 70th anniversary of the film "The Wizard of Oz" in which Dorothy wears ruby slippers rather than the silver of the original L. Frank Baum novel.

I remember when Communist China was our enemy. They still are. I don't remember Frank Sinatra or anyone from the Wizzard of OZ killing Americans on the battlefield.

Anonymous said...

A girlfriend?
"How do you know I'm not one of the "girls"?

So what? Don't knock it until you try it.

Spider said...

No big deal Jimbo. After all, they do own the damned thing. I wonder if all of NYC's Chinese restaurants (about 6 million) will be giving away free eggrolls in celebration. They must be planning something big because i haven't seen a cat in the neighborhood for weeks!