Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Obviously JUST working at a University bestows no smarts

.
It seems that a "catering employee" got a paycheck, with a $29,000 overage on it. [for those not in the industry, "catering employee" really means WAITRESS / SERVER / DISHWASHER if she was a Chef, it would say so] She thought it was a "tip" and naturally, she spent her "tip".
.
Sara Gaspar of Granger says in court documents filed this week that she "thought finally something wonderful had happened" in her life when the school paid her a $29,387 tip on April 17. She said in court documents that she called the school’s catering department three times about the payment, but didn’t hear back until she received a threatening call from the school in June.

Gaspar says by that point, she had spent the money on a new car and bills.

Notre Dame contends Gaspar should have been paid only $29.87, but was overpaid because of a typing error. The school says in a lawsuit filed Aug. 27 in St. Joseph Circuit Court in South Bend that Gaspar did not notify the school about the error, and instead spent the money knowing it wasn’t hers.

.
I've looked through several articles and can't find anywhere that she was available to receive tips. I think she stole the money. But I'm old and cynical and I don't have a NEW CAR.
.
.
Schteveo

8 comments:

Spider said...

It's their mistake. It's her money!

Jimbo said...

There is SO much wrong with this.

A. She could have banked it and she would have at least had the interest. Hey! A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks.

B. The dumbass accountants (to save face) could have called it an interest-free loan, and asked her to make X payments for X years.

As it is, they ALL look stupid. Bottom line: I would fire the accounting staff and hire a new staff outside of Affirmative Action program.

But of course (as a person who is UL and ISO 9001 certified) I would have set up quality procedures so that crap didn't happen to begin with.

I love hind-site.

Missy said...

I kind of believe her. I myself and others have known have receive errors in our favor on our paychecks and you can tell everyone in the world about it and no one ever seems to really care... you know .. all that paperwork and all. I know someone who for some reason no one knew received a seperate $20.00 payment in each check for 2 years. No one could explain why and payroll never wanted to deal with fixing it or even taking it back.

Schteveo said...

Spider,
when the phone or cable company over charges you, is it THEIR money then, simply because they demand it and say you owe it? C'mon, show us the tongue in your cheek.



Missy,
I'm with you, I've dealt with those same boneheaded payroll Nazis.

I got a .50 raise once, and the payroll boobs payed out at $1.50, per hour, plus a ton of OT for a month. I went to them EVERY payday and told them it wasn't right. I never did convince the local boobs, their bosses caught it and sent me a letter asking how I'd like to pay it back. I told them to take it all NOW. See, I'm smarter than the Indiana Suzy Q. I stashed the overage in my savings acct. Like Jimbo said, I made a few bucks in interest, instead of facing going to court.

I'm just a little curious about someone who thinks they got a "TIP", that was 1000 times bigger than the paycheck should really be. I've worked for tips and I've had some whoppers. I had one, from a comp meal, where several diners, in a large group, paid their share anyway. I'm talking Oyster Bar, steamed lobsters, beers, wine, that was a hefty tab. It was a single tip that out did the rest of the tips and my pay combined for that week.

Also, I've NEVER heard of anyplace where "tips" came as part of your paycheck. In fact, most states have a "Hands Off" policy where earned gratuities are concerned.

I can't imagine that a Northern, unionized place like Indiana allows tips to be handled in any way, by the restaurant operators or caterers themselves, so that Suzy Q "thought" she was getting a tip.

"Grammie" or whatever name he wants to call me!! said...

If I were the accountant, I never would have made that big of a mistake to begin with, but of course I was a valedictorian. ;-)

Heidi said...

In all fairness, it's not the accountants that type in this information. They get paid too much to do manual entry. They have under-paid staff that do that for them. So lay off the accountant bashing, or you might hurt my feelings.

Jimbo said...

Mrs. Jimbo is an accountant, so I'm certain she would sympathize with you, Heidi.

And - the staff is what I meant. You know - the staff that should be operating under the quality procedures set forth by the accountant...

:-)

BOW said...

C-Bug: From your Annies Inferno T-Shirt photo I can say with certainty that you still are