Saturday, November 7, 2009

House Committee of Ways and Means Republicans

PELOSI: Buy a $15,000 Policy or Go to Jail
JCT Confirms Failure to Comply with Democrats’ Mandate Can Lead to 5 Years in Jail
Friday, November 06, 2009

Today, Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee Dave Camp (R-MI) released a letter from the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) confirming that the failure to comply with the individual mandate to buy health insurance contained in the Pelosi health care bill (H.R. 3962, as amended) could land people in jail. The JCT letter makes clear that Americans who do not maintain “acceptable health insurance coverage” and who choose not to pay the bill’s new individual mandate tax (generally 2.5% of income), are subject to numerous civil and criminal penalties, including criminal fines of up to $250,000 and imprisonment of up to five years.

In response to the JCT letter, Camp said: “This is the ultimate example of the Democrats’ command-and-control style of governing – buy what we tell you or go to jail. It is outrageous and it should be stopped immediately.”

Key excerpts from the JCT letter appear below:

H.R. 3962 provides that an individual (or a husband and wife in the case of a joint return) who does not, at any time during the taxable year, maintain acceptable health insurance coverage for himself or herself and each of his or her qualifying children is subject to an additional tax.” [page 1]

- - - - - - - - - -

If the government determines that the taxpayer’s unpaid tax liability results from willful behavior, the following penalties could apply…” [page 2]

- - - - - - - - - -

Criminal penalties

Prosecution is authorized under the Code for a variety of offenses. Depending on the level of the noncompliance, the following penalties could apply to an individual:

• Section 7203 – misdemeanor willful failure to pay is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year.

• Section 7201 – felony willful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years.” [page 3]

When confronted with this same issue during its consideration of a similar individual mandate tax, the Senate Finance Committee worked on a bipartisan basis to include language in its bill that shielded Americans from civil and criminal penalties. The Pelosi bill, however, contains no similar language protecting American citizens from civil and criminal tax penalties that could include a $250,000 fine and five years in jail.

“The Senate Finance Committee had the good sense to eliminate the extreme penalty of incarceration. Speaker Pelosi’s decision to leave in the jail time provision is a threat to every family who cannot afford the $15,000 premium her plan creates. Fortunately, Republicans have an alternative that will lower health insurance costs without raising taxes or cutting Medicare,” said Camp.

According to the Congressional Budget Office the lowest cost family non-group plan under the Speaker’s bill would cost $15,000 in 2016.


Source

I was able to post this in it's entirety because it is a public website.

No further editorial needed from me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Felony willful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years."

This sounds like a deal. Free health care during five years in prison. Then, as your most recent employer, they have to offer COBRA transition care.

Sounds like a win-win. Keep the jails full, get everyone health care, and increas the national debt.

What could go wrong?

Spider said...

The people are being pushed to the point where they'll have no choice but to push back, assuming they have any will. I'm glad i bought all that extra ammo.

Schteveo said...

Spider,
I'm with you, I ordered more yesterday. I just hope it gets here before the revolution starts!!

Here's the e-mail I just sent to my idiot Congressman. The (dis)Honorable Brad Miller(D) NC-23

(I think that (D) stands for douche bag.

Mr. Miller,
I just looked and I am appalled that you voted FOR the health care reform bill.

You voted to allow ME and my family to be fined for not having health care coverage.
And based on what? Your say so of someone's health? You Sir are NOT a doctor, so how do you presume to decide what is good for me medically?

I've watched the polls Mr. Miller, and tonight you voted contrary to the wants of the majority of your constituents. You are our representative, we are not your subjects, how dare you presume to decide what is best for us? How dare you Sir, how dare you!!

I have just two questions for you Mr. Miller, given your disregard for us out here in "fly over", or, outside the Beltway, you can chose the term you and your staff most often use.

Where in our Constitution do you find the power to fine me for NOT doing ANYTHING, much less for NOT buying insurance of any kind? Certainly, I can be fined for not paying taxes, I can be fined for breaking many laws, but fining me for NOT carrying "X, Y or Z” insurance coverage, is IS NOT WITHIN YOUR POWER TO DO.

Yes, you, and your fellow fascists, have seemingly done it, but wait for the legal backlash, because it's coming Mr. Miller, it's coming.

Here's my other question. What was it you intended to do AFTER your time in the House of Representatives? Because THAT TOO, the end of your tenure, is coming. Mostly your term is going to be ending based on tonight’s vote.

Many of us, Democrat and Republican alike will work our over taxed, over fined, overwhelmed behinds off to see you unseated Sir. You, and your fellow Congressman, show such arrogance as to be sickening to those of us on the receiving end of legislation like this!!

Enjoy the perks of your office for another year, because tonight, you wrote your own post dated resignation letter Sir. And it is titled "H.R. 3962".

By the way, I’ll be happy to send you an employment application, next year, from “Bojangles” on Western Boulevard, they are almost always hiring. As, if they’d have you.

Steve Rhudy
Raleigh, NC 27606-3132

"Grammie" or whatever name he wants to call me!! said...

The house bill NARROWLY passed (220-215). Pelosi is celebrating her victory, smiling from ear to ear (it doesn't take much since she's been face-lifted). And Rep. Joseph Cao of Louisiana was the LONE Republican to vote FOR the bill. I'd say he is toast in the next election but he reps New Orleans.

Schteveo said...

OT, but on the guns and ammo topic

I went to the ATM tonight to get some cash so Mrs. Schteveo could pay for some stuff we got at out friends yard sale. I took the Ruger with me, I was going to get CASH, in a DARK parking lot, ALONE, it seemed reasonable.

I had to park away from the front of my building, on the other side of our small parking lot. About 70 or 80 feet from my steps.

I had the pistol, in my right hand,just cradled, not held ready, with my finger along the side if the trigger. I was just carrying it, not ready to point or fire. The lot is well lit, and there's a ton of traffic here, I felt like I was safe.

As I'm crossing the lot, some (moronic) college students I've sparred with before, were leaving. One of them yelled out to me, here's the exchange.

(m)CS - ...hey, is that a REAL gun?

S - yes.

(m)CS - you really need to check the law gun man, 'cause it's AGAINST THE LAW TO CARRY A GUN AFTER DARK.

(emphasis mine for effect)

S - well, call the cops then... (and I told them which apt I lived in)

(m)CS - well maybe we will...

S - send them on, I'll have the pistol AND the permit ready for them...tell them to ask for Steve.


oddly, my Mrs. is mad at me for not concealing the pistol. I reminded her we are an Open Carry state. I could wear a John Wayne holster here if I wanted to. She says I'm looking for trouble, I reminded her how often trouble finds me, even when she's with me and I've done nothing to precipitate it.

(and, I'm always amazed at the stupid shit most people say. But for someone going to college to think carrying a gun, after dark, is illegal, by federal law, is completely amazing!!)

Schteveo said...

THE best line yet about this bill.


If the IRS and Medicare had a Baby


In this case, abortion is an option.

blue said...

one section sez you go to jail if you don't have insurance

another section sez there is a 6 month waiting period before you can get the gov't option if you lose your private insurance


conclusion: build more jails

Spider said...

While watching the Sunday morning "news" shows, the general consensus among the talking heads is that the socialized medicine bill passed by the House will not make it through the Senate. Even though i'm aware that the House is controlled by wild-eyed, radical Leftists, and the senate by more "moderate, rational" minds, i'm not sure i agree that it won't get passed. Why? Because the Obamunists and the Demoncrats can't afford such a major defeat, not with the 2010 elections just around the corner. They don't know how much time they have left. This is why so many massive, life-changing bills are being "pushed" through in the dark of night, at record speed, without review, without public approval, consent, or discussion.

Everyone, even Leftists, understand the Demoncrats will take a hit in the up-coming mid-term elections. Of course, no one knows how big a hit, but even a small slap by the voters will hurt their plans for total domination of this country and it's people, a plan that's well under way. So, i'm betting a watered-down version of the bill, one that will only choke the people, not make them gag, will get through.

The American people (IMO) don't seem to mind being choked, so long as it's presented in the right way, and the MSM will see to that. Sort of like taking your kid for that first very scary vaccination and distracting him/her with a lollypop. Yes, the people can easily be had using some lollypop-type distraction. It sure wouldn't be the first time, and it won't be the last.