Saturday, January 16, 2010

Let me say, HUH?!

.
DARPA is complaining that there are no "geeks" out there to hire. And it's a security risk.
.
No geeks, why not? The community college and full university computer science classes are packed. Engineering classes too. I believe the problem is one of GIFTED, INSPIRED and TALENTED people in these fields.

One of my best friends sons just graduated from school with a mechanical engineering degree. He's having trouble finding a job. Granted, the economy is down, but doesn't that also show a glut of people working in the field, when the top in the class are struggling?

I've known this kid all his life, he's smart, good looking, personable, and he, nor his class toppers, can get an interview to get a foot in the door. There's much more at work here than just a lack of candidates.

On a lighter side, there is the Wile E. Coyote factor.

When I was growing up, we saw Wile E. build and design all sorts of fantasmagorical devices. We saw the space race go from ideas to the moon. We went from pencils and paper and logarithm books, to graphing calculators. From tail dragger airplanes to supersonic jets for civilian travel. And on and on.

The kids NOW are living in an age where 99% of the products are consumer driven, entertainment, "fun time", crap. Most of which is obsolete in 18 months when the new whiz-bang-whimmy-diddle comes out, with twice the speed and 4 times the bass volume. I don't think, kids now, or for the last 20 + years have been taught, by schools or mom and dad, to reach very far or work much before graduating college.

Here's the basic problem, you don't HAVE TO take the engine apart on a BRAND NEW car. A NEW iPod doesn't need fixing. You don't fix brakes, tweek carbs, replace radios, replace capstans, rollers, motors etc., on NEW stuff, they are GIVEN every new toy that comes out. And if it breaks, go get a new one.

I fixed and tweaked and got zapped by many an old radio, 8-track player and TV as a kid. I busted knuckles on plenty of bicycles and lawnmowers and old washing machines learning about stuff and looking for parts for ???. That was LONG before I ever worked professionally as a VW mechanic, or before I trained in the Navy in I &C, or before I then worked in computer controlled industrial machinery, and finally straight computer work. I partly trained myself, out of both interest AND need.

Personally the need taught me more than interest. My interests lead me, my needs kept me going. I HAD to fix that crappy VW if I was going to drive. I HAD to fix the radio if we were going to play 8-tracks, then I HAD to install it and run the wires, drill holes mount the speakers.

Now if kids want to listen, drive or whatever, mom and dad buy them a new, shiny, running, blaring, loud as hell, thumping, internet connecting, texting, sexting, go fast.

Where's the learning?

The seven original astronauts, did NOT become pilots, because mom and dad BOUGHT THEM airline tickets. Nor did the ground guys, designers, technical support people at NASA become "those people at NASA" because mom and dad "bought" anything. Most of them started out as tinkerers.

At heart they were Wile E. Coyotes or better still for their time, Rube Goldbergs. Cobbling new stuff from existing knowledge and stretching to create the new. You don't learn to stretch up, or learn to climb a tree, if every apple is handed to you.

DARPA should go into the iPod, internet, texting, cell phone ad-ons, sexting thing, that seems profitable. We're doomed.
.
.
Schteveo

6 comments:

Spider said...

Steve old buddy, you hit the 10-ring again with this post. Ask someone (especially a young person) to actually fix something today, and they look at you with a blank stare! And worse yet, the few people still around who can fix/build/create stuff are fast disappearing without having anyone to leave their knowledge to.

Now, we build nothing. We create nothing. We invent nothing. We fix nothing. We just buy stuff from other countries. All the crap the ChiComs make is designed to be thrown away. (if it doesn't kill you first) Everything the Japs make is designed so that only they can fix it.

But here's the question that scares me. Have we reached this point because of progress, coincidence, or, have we been led here?

BOW said...

It's all part of the weak, vulnerable victim mentality that our society is encouraging

Schteveo said...

Spider,
even the stuff WE build is designed to be thrown away. I have friends who work on US made cars and they too are throw away.

I'm not worried about the obsolescence part of our country. I'll simply turn cannibal, and eat those worthless, know nothing, ass munches first. By the time I'm through with them in the freezer, regular food can be grown or raised. And I'm a fair mechanic, so I'll have my pick of cars, trains and planes.

I'm thinking Charlton Heston in 'Omega Man'.

Spider said...

You mean those "US made" cars that come from plants in Mexico? If you want a truly American made care, get a BMW or Honda, both made here.

Schteveo said...

No, I'm talking about cars made in the country with names like Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, those cars. They are designed, planned and assembled HERE and they are still made out of squat, for squat, worth squat, last for squat.

tio-orso said...

Hey Scteveo, don't you mean soylent green? " Soylent green is PEOPLEEEE".