Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Who are "we", I've lost track truly

.
It's 2010, we've got a black, er, negro, er, mulatto, er, mixed race, er...President. But what IS he. Depends on who you ask it seems.
.
The U.S. Census Bureau has found itself enmeshed in controversy over the use of an old bit of nomenclature to identify race on its 2010 Census form.

A tide of indignation has risen over Question 9, which asks for the person's race. Next to one of the 15 boxes that can be checked are three choices: black, African American or Negro.

Census officials have gotten an earful in recent days as black activists, politicians and community leaders have expressed displeasure over the decision to include the final word.

Even though “Negro” was on previous census forms, and despite the approval of its use this year by the bureau's African American Advisory Committee, demands are flying to ditch the forms and print new ones.

With questionnaires scheduled to be sent out March 1, that is not likely to happen. But the bureau has agreed to send out about 30,000 questionnaires without the word to test the response.

“Negro” has remained on the form because the population counters kept getting forms back with the word written in — more than 55,000 in the 2000 Census — even though it was included as one of the selections. That suggested that some blacks still preferred the term and had not noticed it as a third choice.

.
Here's an idea, how about an open poll of anyone with any amount of racial identity from Africa. Let's get an answer to this question once and for all, voted for by the majority of the people involved racially, with them making the final decision. Then we stick with it for at least three more census cycles.
.
As harsh as this is to say, I'm sick of the topic. I've been white my whole life. I was Caucasian when I was born or so I thought, but by modern anthropological nomenclature, I'm now Caucasoid. WHEW, that's a huge change. But I didn't ask for it either way!!!
.
But by my accounting, and in the last 40 odd years, this racial group has demanded changes about every 15 years. WHY? But now removing "Negro" from the playing field, at a cost of millions of dollars seems crazy. And there was a "committee" who approved of the forms wording.
.
Hey, maybe the committee should pay for the new forms!! Yeah, that's the ticket. And I've got ten bucks that says Sean Combs and P. Rogers Nelson are behind this whole debate!!
.
.
Schteveo

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Negro” has remained on the form because the population counters kept getting forms back with the word written in — more than 55,000 in the 2000 Census — even though it was included as one of the selections. That suggested that some blacks still preferred the term and had not noticed it as a third choice."

Or, dey cants read.

Schteveo said...

Not reading the form is raceless, faceless and has no regard to edge-a-ma-cashun. I've handled questionnaires from white PhD's and MBAs, that were so screwed up, we through out the whole book!!

My experience is, nobuddy bees readin' da finz print!

Spider said...

"Let's get an answer to this question once and for all, voted for by the majority of the people involved racially, with them making the final decision."

Interesting idea, but not very fair, since all of us will be compelled to use whatever word they choose, (this time) else be deemed politically incorrect racists.

IMO, no one should be able to "legally" call themselves an African-American unless they can prove they were born in Africa. As for words such as, negro and colored which seem to offend the always-offended, i promise to stop using them as soon as the NAACP and The United NEGRO College Fund change their names. Until then, i will play it safe and use the word that most blacks use to describe themselves. Niggas.

Don't like it? EAT ME!

Schteveo said...

But my point is that once THEY choose, THEY gots'ta stick wit'it.

Hey, I never got a vote. I'm willing to let them vote, what's more open minded than that!? I didn't ever get to chose between Wop and Guinea. Just ask Snooki or "The Situation", I bet they didn't get a choice either. On my other side, Mick could get thrown around, but again, no choice.

Misters Combs and Nelson got to choose, and choose, and choose, and choose...

Jimbo said...

I know what they are. It doesn't matter what they call themselves.

To the "African-American" dipshits: if you don't call me a Scot/Irish/Welsh/French/Cherokee-American - I'll kick your freaking asses, because I figger (rhymes with...) you are being purposefully hurtful. And according to all the freaking black "reverends" our there, along with the silly faggots, I have a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT not to have my feelings hurt!

Anonymous said...

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE!

BOW said...

Dear Bernie Wannabee:

We have no money here. Your politicians have made sure of that.

tio-orso said...

I am not white. White is a color not a nationality. My coloring is due to the fact that my ancestors come from the area around the CAUCASUS MTNs. in Eastern Europe. Also my ethnicity is not non-Hispanic or non-Middle Eastern. My ethnicity is European-Mediteranean. Now will someone be politically correct so my feelings do not get hurt. We whities are very sensitive you know.