Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sounds like a job for ex-Blackwater guys

.
More ships are being taken by Somali pirates every month. There is currently an American Merchant Captain being held by pirates. The U.S. Navy is nearby and an FBI negotiator is talking to the pirates.
.
I have long questioned why the shippers don't arm the ships or hire security details.
.
Well, they must have heard me.
.
Owners debate arming ships against Somali pirates
.
But, they go to the far left in their thinking right out of the gate.
.
But owners of ships plying the pirate-infested waters off Somalia's coast have balked at having firearms onboard, despite an increasing number of attacks where bullets pierced hulls or rocket propelled grenades whooshed overhead.

The reason is twofold: Owners fear pirates would be more likely to continue shooting once on board if they confronted weapons, and the company might be held liable for deaths or injuries inflicted by someone on the vessel.

"There's basically resistance to the idea of armed guards because of the risk of escalation ... possible harm to the crew," said Neil Roberts, a senior technical executive at Lloyd's Market Association, which provides support to underwriters with Lloyd's, the largest maritime insurance marketplace in the world. "Most ship owners don't encourage it."

.
I guess I was just pissing in the ocean when I got my CCW, or when I keep guns in the house, because the bad guys might get mad and hurt me if I defend myself, while they are trying to rob me and hurt me. Huh?
.
It seems to me to be a circular argument.
.
Until, of course, you kill the pirates first. Pirates are harmless, if they're dead WAY before they take you hostage. Dead pirates can't hurt you at all. When they attempt to board you, kill them.
.
.
Schteveo's gonna go down fighting, not quivering

7 comments:

Jimbo said...

"There's basically resistance to the idea of armed guards because of the risk of escalation ... possible harm to the crew," said Neil Roberts

As you say Steve, its general "liberal thought" (which = no thought) such as this that has escalated crime everywhere - not just on the high seas. Liberals have pussified the world so that it has reached the point thugs expect to have their way.

But they’ll get a surprise if they come to my house. I suspect in my immediate Austin neighborhood that 5 out of 6 households are well armed. As a result, the crime rate is somewhere between 0 and 0.5%. Where as in a typical "unarmed" *snicker* neigborhood in Detroit the crime rate is more like 25% (or higher).

When you think about it, Detroit and Somalia have a LOT in common.

Yellowbeard the Pirate said...

Us Yellowbeards are never more dangerous than when we're dead!

Oorah! said...

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE MARINES?

I sat, as did millions of other Americans, and watched as their
government under went a peaceful transition of power several weeks past.

At first, I felt a pride and patriotism as I watched Barack Obama take his Oath of office.

However, all that pride quickly vanished as I later watched 21
Marines, in full dress uniform with rifles, fire a 21-gun salute to the President. It was then that I realized how far America's Military had deteriorated.

Every last one of them missed.

Anonymous said...

watch out there Oorah .....
You'll have the SS after us

BOW said...

Defend oneself? Isn't that what the police is for. Obama should call the UN to arrest these folks in his "overses contingencies"

Schteveo said...

OK, Texas gets ANOTHER vote. But outside town, I'm looking outside cities. They'll be even more dangerous as time goes on. According to Gerald Celente anyway.

BOW said...

Here is how I would solve the problem...

ATTENTION: "I see there are reinfiforcement pirate vessels in the area. Good.

You have 15 seconds to surrender and release the captain safely.

Observe! (Missile destroys one of the pirate ships, the pirates are infrmed they are free to swim to shore.)

you now have 5 seconds."