Friday, February 4, 2011

Killer wings...and a story.

I am not sure who Larry Sahr is but, this recipe was found while surfin’ the net in 1997, it is the best recipe for “Buffalo Wings” I’ve ever tried. I thought I had lost this and went looking for it again. The site it came from had all the original recipes, except this one. There was a note saying the Anchor Bar people had threatened to sue if they did not remove the wing recipe. If this is not their recipe, WHY would they threaten to sue? And, I’ve eaten at the Anchor in Buffalo…THIS sure tastes like their recipe

Let's see if this lasts or if we get a nasty e-mail.


Larry Sahr's Buffalo Wings

Here is what I believe to be the original recipe, as I learned it in 1982 from "Bubba", an ancient, little black man who said he actually used to make the wings at Frank and Teresa's Anchor Bar, Buffalo, New York, where the original Buffalo Wings were invented during 1964. Today, the Anchor Bar is said to serve up in excess of 70,000 lbs. of these wings each month

The Sauce - makes enough for about 30 wings

6 Tablespoons of FRANK'S Louisiana Hot Sauce (also sold as DURKEE'S)
1/2 stick of margerine (not butter !!)
1 Tablespoon of white vinegar
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper powder
1/4 teaspoon of red pepper powder
1/8 teaspoon of garlic salt
A dash of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons of Tabasco sauce

Mix all the ingredients in a samll sauce pan over low heat (and I do mean, low) until the margerine is completely melted, then stir until everything is blended into the sauce. Then get the sauce off of the heat !! This last step is quite important, as any additional heating tends to kill the flavor.

The Wings - use about 30 completely defrosted wings.

Fry in peanut oil (yes, I said peanut oil. Other types of oil don't seem to develop quite the same exquisite flavor.)

Heat the peanut oil to 375 degrees F., and drop in half (15) of the wings, one at a time. Doing it one at a time is important, as you don't want to lower the temperature of the peanut oil too much by dumping in a whole load of cold wings all at one time.

Fry the wings for 12 to 15 minutes, then take them out. Place the other 15 wings in the deep fryer, then drain the hot, cooked wings for a few minutes through a strainer, preferably placed over the deep fryer. If you don't use a strainer, the residual oil will congeal on the wings, making a rather greasy mess.

When all the wings are cooked, put the wings and the sauce in a container with a cover and shake the container until the wings are thoroughly coated. Serve with celery and blue cheese salad dressing.

.
These MFers are as good as they get, IMHO. And as I said, I've eaten at the Anchor Bar, so that's what I compare wings against.

.
Secret Schteveo

9 comments:

BOW said...

You forgot one important ingredient. An ice cold pitcher!

Schteveo said...

Yep, that's the best sauce for any wings. But if I'm drinking alone Sunday, a pitcher would get hot before I could finish it, so bottles it is.

Spider said...

You got that right Bill! I've been to the Anchor bar and their wings are really great, but i know of a place or two in southern FL. where they're just as good. Then again, it's pretty hard to screw up wings unless you don't have the right hot sauce.

Anonymous said...

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a grave side service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Eastern Oregon back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this poor, homeless man.

And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I ain't never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Apparently I'm still lost...

Schteveo said...

...wrong, wrong, wrong...

Anonymous said...

But funny.

Anonymous said...

2/6/11: Ronald Reagan would have been 100 today;

"It is no coincidence that our present troubles parallel and are proportionate to the intervention and intrusion in our lives that result from unnecessary and excessive growth of government. It is time for us to realize that we're too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams. We're not, as some would have us believe, doomed to an inevitable decline. I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing. So, with all the creative energy at our command, let us begin an era of national renewal. Let us renew our determination, our courage, and our strength. And let us renew our faith and our hope."
-- Ronald Reagan

Schteveo said...

God knows, we another like him, and soon, very soon.

Spider said...

From Yahoo News;
"For his Super Bowl party Sunday evening, Obama is offering Yuengling Lager and Light, brewed in Pennsylvania, and Hinterland Pale Ale and Amber Ale, all the way from Wisconsin. Independents can pour down some White House Honey Ale if they like.

The rest of the menu for the 100 or so guests at the White House bash is tailgate-friendly even if served inside the Executive Mansion: bratwurst, kielbasa, cheeseburgers, deep-dish pizza and Buffalo wings with sides of German potato salad, twice-baked potatoes and assorted chips and dips...
"

I wonder if fat-ass, thunder-thighs Michelle Obummer approved of this menu while forcing the rest of us to eat seaweed and tofu.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/115451684.
html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc
:_Yyc:aUvckD8EQDUF