Tuesday, October 27, 2009

It's a world of laughter, A world or tears

.
It's a small world after all. If your willing to walk for 20 days to see some of it. I post this one for fun and relaxation, we're much too serious here often. Sit back, relax and dream of some exotic, far away place...
.
(except for Jimbo, he's ALREADY beatin' the pants off most of us out livin' there in Paradise!)
.
If you're wondering how "close" two places are, a geographic map doesn't help much anymore. If the airports are good--or if there's a bullet train nearby--hundreds of miles might as well be down the street. Point being, "distance" is now really a function less of geography, than of the transport networks we've invented.
.
The most remote place: Tibet, parts of which are as much as three weeks away from a city--with the journey comprising 20 days on foot.

.
I just checked seeing Tibet OFF my bucket list.
.
.
Schteveo's been around, but he ain't as round as he used to be!!
.

2 comments:

BOW said...

They don't take into account all the time wasted at airports with bone-head security, flight delays, and pilots who fly past the airport wile facebooking from their laptops. Then again you might get hijacked or blown up along the way because they were too busy stripsearching granny rather than profiling.

Jimbo said...

Schteveo... Great find! Love the article and the map.

Paradise? If only I didn't have to work 10-14 hours a day...

*sigh*

My company recently won the construction/design management phase of this project; duration 11 years (living expenses and frequent travel home included). Believe it or not, I'm still undecided. I've also got a good chance of getting on the Panama Canal Widening Project which would be much closer to home - 6 hours door to door as compared to my current 14. But there aren't any needle fish in Hawaii... I'm torn.

Back on subject... Hawaii is (by miles) the most remote, but I'm with you good buddy - I've always been intrigued by the Himalayas. They have yeti and weird goats and stuff. But THAT kind of remote I finally got too old for. I'll have to reminisce of my many years of wandering Alaska and some of the treks I made - I'm too damned old for that crap now. Give me a bed and a bookstore on the corner, thank you very much.

I'm with you, though, big buddy... dreaming of where I'd go if only I was 25 again.