Sunday, February 14, 2010

Doing the math on, "Doing the Math on Coupons"

.
This doesn't add up for me...
.
Clipping coupons hardly sounds like the subject of high finance–or even medium finance.

Save a dollar on cat food, some detergent or a couple of boxes of cereal. Who can be bothered? Who has the time?

A growing number of people, it turns out. And they're shrewder than it may at first appear.

The Great American Coupon is making a big comeback–thanks to the Great American Recession.

We redeemed some 3.3 billion coupons last year–a remarkable 27 percent leap from 2008, and the first year-on-year increase in 17 years, according to a report issued at the end of January by Inmar, a coupon-processing agent. (Online coupon use skyrocketed–companies issued twice as many as in 2008, but redemptions rose 360 percent.) The big upturn took off in October 2008, just after Lehman went belly up.

At first blush you can see why coupons fell out of fashion for so long–and why so many consumers still ignore them.

You have to make time to visit a coupon Web site or collect the flyers from your mailbox, the supermarket or newspaper inserts. You need to sort through to find the ones you want, cut them out, stick them in your purse or wallet–and remember to use them when you are at the cash register and you are trying to remember whether you bought everything on your shopping list and where you parked the car.

Average saving per coupon: Just $1.44, according to the Inmar report.

But let's treat this low finance topic for a moment the way we treat high finance. Let's subject it to the same math.

How long does it actually take to clip and use a coupon? Certainly the more you use, the less overall time you will spend per coupon, because so many of the costs–getting flyers, sorting coupons and so on–are generalized. Let's assume you spend a minute per coupon.

Saving $1.44 for a minute's effort is the equivalent of saving $14.40 for 10 minutes'.

Hourly rate: $86.40.

.
The article goes on to say that in order to NET that $86, you have to GROSS $123 in wages. But, is this math sound? Not to me.
.
Because I have the most free time, I do the cooking and shopping at my house. Truly, Mrs. Schteveo is NOT a food person. She'd eat PB & J and microwave popcorn if it wasn't for me. Not because she can't cook, but because she doesn't care. The running joke in our family is that dying and going to hell for me, would be coming back as one of her taste buds!
.
But, having said that, I know how to shop and do it cheaply. I generally buy name brands, but I rarely find coupons for the stuff I buy. Mostly I see coupons for specialty or prepared foods or frozen pizzas, etc., it's stuff I just don't buy. I use my store scanner cards EVERY TIME I go to the store though. With that, I save about 15% to 20%, and I don't have to clip or scan the newspaper. I also stock up, when stuff is on sale with said cards. I also shop at Sam's and BJ's, where again, buying in bulk saves me money. Recently, I started shopping at Aldi too, again, to save money. Overall, I save about 25% on groceries doing these things, I've tracked, I know.
.
But the point of this was to point out "errors" in math, I just needed to state MY system first.
.
I love the "math" here. It's like the Wal-Mart commercials that say shopping at their store saves $1000 per year on breakfast alone!! Well yeah, but their math is based on 4 people combined, eating ALL 20 breakfasts out, every week, of the entire year. Who does that?
.
Likewise, when I've tried the coupons a few times over the years, I've NEVER found $100 worth of coupons that I could use, never found coupons to be worth $33, that translated to that $100 on Triple Coupon Day, or found a need to buy Green Giant pre-made green bean casserole, Tombstone pizza, or Mrs Paul's Cheddar Crusted Fillets to use the coupons in the Sunday newspaper. Guess why? If I buy stuff with a coupon, that I WOULDN'T NORMALLY BUY, I'm not SAVING money, I'm SPENDING money. In other words, this is very fuzzy math, IMHO.
.
But, tell me what you think.
.
.
Schteveo

10 comments:

Spider said...

Nice job pal.
As for me, i live alone, so shopping is mostly fill-in at my local stores. I used to belong to COSTCO, but found their yearly (and ever rising) membership was costing me a lot more than i was saving. Also, it takes quite a while for one person to use a 5 lb jar of mustard, or a package of 20 pork chops, even though they were great. So in my case, coupons aren't worth the effort. Also, i hate having all those advertisements thrown on my front steps by an army of illegals. In fact, after years of complaining, we got a law passed here that forbids these cretins from cluttering-up your property with all that crap if you have a sign posted telling them not to. It took a while to sink in, but it now works.

I remember my parents using coupons when i was a kid. Back then, it was very normal for families where i came from to do that. Today, when i do go to my local supermarket, (in a middle-class neighborhood) i really don't see many coupons being used. But i do see "lots" of Food Stamp cards being used, mostly by fur-coat wearing Russian immigrants, who then wheel their stuff out to their new BMW or Benz! God Bless America!

Schteveo said...

Bu that one package of chops, split up is chops for half a year. I buy those big pkgs and then use my vac-u-saver to make smaller packages for me and the Mrs.

But I do see your problem.

My mother used coupons too, but to buy stuff we always used. I just don't see those kinds of coupons in my paper now, or in the weekly thing that comes in the mail.

I see more AA's doing the EBT Card to Caddy thing here, but I do know the system. All it takes is a willingness to lie openly to gub'ment officials. Is that RACIST? Nah, just observation!!

Jimbo said...

"I use my store scanner cards EVERY TIME I go to the store though."

I hear you there. Me too. Even though there are those who claim if you use the card, your giving up your privacy. Huh? When you use the card the supermarket tends to remember the things you like and keep them in stock at "fair" prices.

Plus - using the card allows shopping at a 'premium' market that's clean and sparkly and fresh smelling for about the same overall grocery bill as the 'non-premium' discount market where you walk in and get hit in the nose by the fish.

But for me - coupons are a pin in the butt.

I wish they'd get the damned race going again. This red-flag for track repair is boring.

Jimbo said...

Uh... Make that 'pain' in the butt. But I guess a pin in the butt IS a pain in the butt...

"Grammie" or whatever name he wants to call me!! said...

OT:

Bush to be honored by the Obama Administration

In a reconciliatory move by the Obama administration, the president has asked the U. S. Board on Geographical Names to name the fault line beneath Haiti after the 43rd president of the United States, George W. Bush.

This particular fracture in the tectonic plate will henceforth be called "Bush's Fault."

Jimbo said...

Holy pothole, Batman. This is the most boring Daytona ever (so far).

Although grocery-shopping and coupons are pretty damned interesting, here's another OT:

~

Oldest Death Row Inmate in U.S. Dies at Age 94
Sunday, February 14, 2010
FLORENCE, Ariz. — The oldest death row inmate in the U.S. has died of natural causes at age 94.

An Arizona Department of Corrections spokesman says Viva Leroy Nash died late Friday [of natural causes] at the state's prison complex in Florence.

Nash was born in 1915 and had a criminal record dating to the 1930s.

He spent 25 years in prison for shooting a Connecticut police officer in 1947, and was sentenced to life in prison for shooting a man to death in Salt Lake City in 1977. But he escaped from a prison work crew in October 1982 and fatally shot a Phoenix coin shop sales clerk a month later. He was sentenced to death for that crime.

~

I counted on my fingers and toes - the dude was 67 when he did his last murder. I'm thinking they should have offed the guy back in '47 for killing the cop.

How much money was spent to keep this creep incarcerated? I guess 'rehabilitation' didn't work.

Schteveo said...

Jimbo,
I'm with you, this friggin' race coverage has been on for over 7 hrs now!! 3 to go!!!



AWWWwww, that MFin' Bill Elliot, I've always thought he needed to be driving a GD taxi, now I'm sure. On to the green, white, checker I guess...oh...and Bill Elliot still sucks.


Are you KIDDING me?? It figures, another of my favorites, Jeff Gordon. Dumbass.


3rd time is a charm.


OK, I'll ask where the FUCK did the 88 car come from!!!




OK, back to business.

I don't worry about my privacy on those store cards, I always fill them out with an alias.

Jimbo said...

Jamie, me boy - you make me proud to be Scot-Irish!

But when you don't use an alias - you get coupons in the mail for stuff you buy most frequently.

Course - I don't use them, but still... If it wasn't for them I'd get no mail at all except bills.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Harry Connick Jr was a major Obama supporter.

Schteveo said...

Anon,
we ALL saw the commercials, but Connick, like many early Obama supporters have backed away from the Messiah, since he turned out to be just a MESS.