Thursday, February 26, 2009

Over officious jerks, arise!!

.
And move to Colorado!!! Join your brethren!
.
DENVER---- A good Samaritan who helped push three people out of the path of a pickup truck before being struck and injured has gotten a strange reward for his good deed: A jaywalking ticket.
.
Family members said 58-year-old bus driver Jim Moffett and another man were helping two elderly women cross a busy Denver street in a snowstorm when he was hit Friday night.
.
The Colorado State Patrol issued the citation. Trooper Ryan Sullivan said that despite Moffett's intentions, jaywalking contributed to the accident.
.
Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.
.
Trooper Sullivan is an over officious JERK. He may have cited the driver, but citing Moffett is a travesty. The article goes on to say that Sullivan DID NOT cite the ladies Moffett saved.
.
I guess they weren't jay walking because the didn't get injured?
.
.
Schteveo hates JERKS

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Steve -

I saw this too, but I had to read another story quickly lest my morning sickness get the best of me.

I can see the technical point that he wouldn't have gotten hit if he hadn't been in the street, but really???

However, playing devil's advocate, what if the guy in the pickup had been speeding to get his pregnant wife/ sick mother-in-law/ buddy who had been shot to the hospital? Would we feel bad about giving him a careless driving ticket?

Anonymous said...

EAT ME?

Schteveo said...

C'mon! I get the impression from reading this that the Officer just didn't want to be out working in the snow. If he was about the jay walking, he would have written up everybody.


This is what old hippie freaks like me, used to call, "typical cop attitude". He went above and beyond the call of "thinking".

nerd said...

I believe that I'd show up in court and defend myself, pro se. I'd demand a jury trial and would then remind the jury members of their right to nullify unjust laws and umnjust actions by police officers.

Anonymous said...

This is what happens out there when they put up those police recruitment posters down at the Dairy Queen, which is where this "officer" should be returned to.