Saturday, January 17, 2009

Nostalgia – a Break from the Coronation of 'The One'

Hi Boys & girls, friends & neighbors. Forget the Big Empty Zero for a while.

I was just watching the History Channel (all the other channels are blocked on my TV) and on Modern Marvels they had a short piece on the “resurgence” of vinyl albums. (You know – as in music.) I did a quick internet search, and sure enough, The History Channel isn’t the only one reporting on this phenomenon, as evidenced by this recent Time article.

I still have a working turntable integrated into my stereo system (with a stylus replaced as late as 2003). I commented in another thread that I thought I still had a “Big 10 inch” of Klaatu. I’m certain I also still have ‘Dark Side of the Moon’, ‘Tres Hombres’, ‘Outlaws’, and ‘Led Zeppelin IV’. I have about 100 lbs of albums ranging from Wayland Jennings to the Beatles and everything in between. Deep Purple, Lynard Skynard (pre-crash), and Grand Funk Railroad; not to mention Bad Company, Three Dog Night (Jeremiah was a bullfrog), and a heaping helping of Uriah Heap and the Steve Miller Band.

I think I’ll be breaking those boxes open on my next trip home to Austin. It will be worth every second. I hope my neighbors don’t call the police – my old turntable hooks into a system that will vibrate the entire neighborhood!

♪ Inagadadadavida baybee! ♪

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Livin' on the road my friend, is gonna keep you free and clean
Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath as hard as kerosene
You weren't your momma's only boy, but her favorite one it seems
She began to cry when you said goodbye
And sank into your dreams
Pancho was a bandit boy, his horse was fast as polished steel
He wore his gun outside his pants
For all the honest world to feel
Pancho met his match you know on the deserts down in Mexico
Nobody heard his dyin words, ah but that's the way it goes

All the Federales say, they could've had him any day
They only let him slip away, out of kindness I suppose

Lefty he can't sing the blues all night long like he used to
The dust that Pancho bit down south ended up in Lefty's mouth
The day they laid poor Pancho low, Lefty split for Ohio
Where he got the bread to go, there ain't nobody knows

All the Federales say, they could've had him any day
They only let him slip away out of kindness I suppose

The boys tell how old Pancho fell, and Lefty's livin in cheap hotels
The desert's quiet, Cleveland's cold
And so the story ends we're told
Pancho needs your prayers it's true, but save a few for Lefty too
He only did what he had to do, and now he's growing old

All the Federales say, they could've had him any day
They only let him slip away out of kindness I suppose

A few gray Federales say, they could've had him any day
They only let him slip away out of kindness I suppose.

Anonymous said...

And break out the rolling papers. You'll most likely find all sorts of other memories in some of the covers as well....

Anonymous said...

listen to it by the original....

click my Townes Van Zandt

Anonymous said...

Lets all sit around the campfire and hold hands. Hey man, pass the bong.

"Grammie" or whatever name he wants to call me!! said...

Cool. Very cool.
I have to admit I just have a few vinyl soundtracks from Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, Oliver, and the like. Pretty gay, doncha think?
I have been to some recent concerts by Ted Nugent, Deep Purple, Lynrd Skynrd, Chicago & the Doobie Brothers. Also cool.

Hey, how did you get those little music notes on here?

Jimbo said...

"Hey, how did you get those little music notes on here?"

Composed the post using MS Word - [Insert] [Symbol]

The Blogger editor doesn't recognize all available symbols, but it sees a lot of them.
♀ ♂ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦ ♪ © ® № Ω

Blue said...

so, I ♣ baby seals!!!

"Grammie" or whatever name he wants to call me!! said...

I ♥ sunsets!

Schteveo said...

I admit to being a Philistine. I like CD's better.

Anonymous said...

We skipped the light fandango
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
but the crowd called out for more
The room was humming harder
as the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another drink
the waiter brought a tray

And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale
that her face, at first just ghostly,
turned a whiter shade of pale

She said, 'There is no reason
and the truth is plain to see.'
But I wandered through my playing cards
and would not let her be
one of sixteen vestal virgins
who were leaving for the coast
and although my eyes were open
they might have just as well've been closed

She said, 'I'm home on shore leave,'
though in truth we were at sea
so I took her by the looking glass
and forced her to agree
saying, 'You must be the mermaid
who took Neptune for a ride.'
But she smiled at me so sadly
that my anger straightway died

If music be the food of love [see note, left, about this verse + its opening]
then laughter is its queen
and likewise if behind is in front
then dirt in truth is clean
My mouth by then like cardboard
seemed to slip straight through my head
So we crash-dived straightway quickly
and attacked the ocean bed

Terry: What the fook's it mean, Jimmy?

Jimmy: Beats the fook outta me, Terry.

Anonymous said...

What's a record?