Monday, December 8, 2008

Calling in 'gay'

.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Some same-sex marriage supporters are urging people to "call in gay" Wednesday to show how much the country relies on gays and lesbians, but others question whether it's wise to encourage skipping work given the nation's economic distress.

Organizers of "Day Without a Gay" - scheduled to coincide with International Human Rights Day and modeled after similar work stoppages by Latino immigrants - also are encouraging people to perform volunteer work and refrain from spending money.

Sean Hetherington, a West Hollywood comedian and personal trainer, dreamed up the idea with his boyfriend, Aaron Hartzler, after reading online that a few angry gay-rights activists were calling for a daylong strike to protest California voters' passage last month of Proposition 8, which reversed this year's state Supreme Court decision allowing gay marriage.
.
.
What will we miss? Florists? Choreographers? Interior Decorators? Gossip Columnists? Quarterbacks?

I think as a country we can take the hit.
.
.
Straight Steve

17 comments:

Missy said...

And when they call out they will say "I am gay, I am sick, EAT ME!" I guess I shouldn't schedule a hair appointment for Wednesday either.

Schteveo said...

...not if your hairdresser is a male who just happens to be light in the loafers.

(don't order gravel or mulch if you've got a lesbian landscaper either)

Anonymous said...

Calling in gay?
"Skipping" work.

does anyone else make this connection?

By the way, being self-employed, I can never be out sick unless I was dying.

I hardly can take vacations. I needd to support cheeze scarfers.

alan said...

blah, blah, blah....I saw an old SNL skit with Jim Carey the other day. I think it was the "overly gay" man. I think he actually hit it on the head....

...we don't want acceptance, we want celebration and promotion.....

I know it won't happen, but I keep hoping that if we ignore "them" they will go back into the woodwork and just be human beings because really, the only people who I care about who has sex with who...is me & Mrs. alan.

Anonymous said...

your all tho thilly.

I think I'll thkip blogging tomorrow.

alan said...

I should caveat that with "not all" but those that promote this type of black mail. I am sure there are many who just want to stay in the woodwork.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, I was prepared to kind of leave them alone.
OK, so after we nuke the
muslims
French
germans
russians
cubans
gooks
Eskimos (I hate anybody that eats blubber)
Blacks
mexicans
mormans
liberals
venesuala
somans (fat bastards)
ugly wimmin
and guys that wear brown shoes.................
we kill all the Foo-Foos as well.


And Missy, you got hair?
Whooda thunk it?
and
Any recent piktures you can send me?

Spider said...

To show our solidarity, all straight people should boycott gay businesses for the day. Also, all govt funded AIDS research and treatment should be stopped for the day. If gays have no problem saying to hell with the will of the people, we should say the same thing about their concerns. Besides, it might show many women that they can actually choose their own drape colors.

Blue said...

a few years ago we had the "Day without a Mexican"

Here in San Diego, the freeways were clear but the illegals were still at the Home Depot looking for work.
Some restaurants closed for the day since their entire kitchen and wait staff "called in Mexican"

other than that, no big deal

Anonymous said...

Let's have a parade!

Anonymous said...

Oh goody, a parade. Can we wear multi-colored feathers?

Anonymous said...

...and nothing else!

Anonymous said...

I generally call in drunk.

Anonymous said...

Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and Barney Frank will 'call in gay' and we'll be able to make some progress getting out of the economic mess.

Spider said...

Barney (meat whistle) Frank and Chris (the screamer) Dodd have been put in charge of fixing the financial crisis. If that doesn't tell you how incredibly dumb the American people are, nothing will.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you all can call in stupid! At least then you won't be lying!

Annie said...

I have occasionally felt like calling in fat.